Thursday, July 29, 2010

A few ideas to add to your digital storytelling

I've been thinking about the sessions on digital storytelling and was trying to figure out where I've used something similar, although not for the same purpose. This site http://www.infotoday.com/MMSchools/jan02/banaszewski.htm gives a good idea of how you can use iMovie (a Macintosh program) to get students involved in the creation of their own stories.
The whole process is not as complex as you might think and it is outlined very simply on this page. Most people will not own a Mac but other options are:
  • Windows Moviemaker is similar and as easy to use
  • Windows 7 has muvee (which I have not used)
I also found this http://cogdogroo.wikispaces.com/StoryTools which does give some good (and some not so good) free online programs to create a story.
  • # 53 Slideshare is good and simple
  • # 65 Zooburst looks way cool!
As always the most important thing to remember is to synchronize your objectives and your teaching strategy/ies so that students not only have fun and are interested, but learn!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hi DJ, Your links and hints were quite helpful. I too was fascinated by digital storytelling and its good to know other applications for using the concept of digital storytelling. I have Windows 7, so when time permits I will explore muvee.