Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ok this one is about nothing (much)

Can't think of a title for this post as yet but I'll figure it out. It is a real hoot reading all your comments. Thanks for all the encouragement. 

I know this isn't supposed to be a blog about yourself or your life or anything like that but I really don't know what the heck to write about! Those in class who would "associate" themselves with me have already figured out that I'm kind of a nut. Not a weird, insane, slice you into little pieces kind of nut, just a well...nut - the friendly kind.

I got this email inviting me to attend a Ministry session about the laptop initiative. Really hope this does happen because our students deserve it. Not because of 20/20 vision, or we need to keep up or it's an election promise. Simply because they deserve the best if we can afford it.

If you're a teacher you're also a caregiver (not a babysitter), and it doesn't matter which school you teach in there are deprived children. Deprivation varies only in degrees. The really good ones in government schools have to deal with the peer pressure that comes with being 'good'.

Believe me I'm no idealistic, goody-two-shoes. Those children know their place where I am concerned.

I just had this horrendous Form 3 class (and 'horrendous' should be italicized, capitalized, in bold, red, you get the picture).  At the end of last term they told me that they all wanted to do Social Studies in Form 4 with me.

Did I emphasize horrendous enough before? My choice words for them included "No!" and "Never!", among others. Of course I will end up with some in my class. On the up side I can always concept map them! Never forget to look for that elusive silver lining I say.

Back to the laptops, it would be great to share all of this stuff with those Form 1s. I'm a bit concerned that in my eagerness to share my newly-found Web 2.0 super powers that I'll end up bombarding students with TMI in too short a space of time. Anybody can relate?

Here's a little info about the law of thirds (photography, remember?) We have been socialized to read from the upper left to end at the lower right. Hebrew and Arabic are read from right to left. So unless you have really interesting material to fill a photo with, stick to keeping your subject closer to where the first vertical and horizontal lines would intersect to capture your viewer's attention.    

This is a nice intro http://www.ehow.com/how_2263114_use-rule-thirds-photo-composition.html and the before and after examples here are great http://photospot2004.blogspot.com/2004/07/rule-of-thirds.html

No comments: